Weekly Conference 1 13 2009

AGENDA FOR 1-13-09 OERC EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE CONFERENCE CALL:

Access Number: 712-421-6842

Passcode: 672630#

1) Approval of minutes/notes from 1-6-09 conference call and MERLOT conference

OLD BUSINESS
:
2) Discussion with Richard Pestell, President, INCTR USA
a. Potential role of INCTR-USA as the 501(c)3 lead organization for OERC
b. INCTR-USA as the applicant, receiver and manager of OERC funds
c. Jefferson University Kimmel Cancer Center as a contributing member of OERC
3) Letter to steering committee members (Gracemarie Bricalli is not aware of S.C. membership)
4) Letter to contributing partners with signature form
5) Steering committee membership
6) Activation of OERC.MERLOT.org website
7) Discussion of OERC/MERLOT brochure
8) Latin-America Pan American Conference of Medical Education, Buenos Aires, October 20-23, 2009
9) Adding Rita Lewis to next weeks phone conference for a discussion of OERC International Website
10) Review of TO DO list

NEW BUSINESS:

  • OER in Health White Paper [Anil]
  • Inviting Fogarty International Center (Aron Primack) to join executive committee [Anil]
  • OCW membership [Anil]
  • Discussion of generic funding letter (http://oerc.wikidot.com/generic-funding-letter)

Next meeting(s)
Adjournment.

Notes:

Attendance:

Anil Srivastiva
Ian Magrath
Larry Lessin
Dianne Kaseman
Gerry Hanley
Stephan Theiringer
Andrea Okrentowich

1) Approval of minutes/notes from 1-6-09 conference call and MERLOT conference

Decision: Approved with one correction: Tom Fahey

OLD BUSINESS
:
2) Discussion with Richard Pestell, President, INCTR USA
a. Potential role of INCTR-USA as the 501(c)3 lead organization for OERC
b. INCTR-USA as the applicant, receiver and manager of OERC funds
c. Jefferson University Kimmel Cancer Center as a contributing member of OERC

Discussion: Larry discussed wanting to speak with INCTR-USA about fund management and the possibility of INCTR-USA contributing material to MERLOT.

Decision: Richard did not make it to the meeting. The Executive Committee decided not to further attempt to bring Richard into the team.

3) Letter to steering committee members

Discussion: The steering committee letter has been worked on between Dianne and Larry; however the rest of the team has not reviewed it. The committee discussed Richard's involvement. Anil suggested that we do not continue trying to communicate with Richard, Ian agreed that Richard is not good at communicating. Anil commented that a 501(c)3 was not necessary outside of the US. He also mentioned that web-based fundraising was an option, such as the Global Giving website. Larry commented that if it is going to be too difficult for Richard to make it to the phone conferences then how can we rely on him to manage fundraising responsibilities?
Ian suggested that if we were still interested in pursuing INCTR-USA then we could try Helen Lane, who is responsible for fundraising for INCTR. We could possibly arrange a meeting with her. A comment was made that we might just need Richard's "blessing" in order to work in other areas with other people.
Dianne stated that time is a factor and agrees with Larry that fundraising is a dedicated effort and Richard is not reliable and that Global Giving is something that should be pursued. Ian suggested that we send information to Helen Lane and others at INCTR-USA for a last attempt to involve INCTR-USA.

Decision: Larry will send the steering committee letter to Andrea to post on the wiki.

4) Letter to contributing partners with signature form

Discussion: Stephan questioned what OERC is giving to potential contributing members. Dianne responded that there are three documents: 1) Creative Commons link 2) How to add content to MERLOT 3) Project Summary
Stephan stated that we may need something more formal. The signature page is being worked on, on the wiki. Ian has some people who would be interested in receiving the newsletter.

Decision: Gerry will resend instructions for inclusion in the potential contributors package. Larry will take a look at the signature page posted on the wiki. Larry will also provide names of who may be interested in receiving the newsletter. Anil will talk to Stephan about getting a listserv. Larry will broadcast the email to members and then send NL to Ian for sending to membership.

5) Steering committee membership

Discussion: Gracie was not aware of her status as steering committee member.

Decision: Andrea will forward the email from Gracie to Anil for him to address directly with her.
6) Activation of OERC.MERLOT.org website

Discussion: Gerry reported that he is working on tasks such as getting the URL to specifications which will be the URL that contributors go to. Content on the website needs to go through the approval process. Gerry believes the structure is agreeable but content is needed.
Dianne stated that the Taxonomy needs to be expanded, for example it needs to include nursing care. Anil suggested that the Taxonomy should be posted, reviewed and revised on the wiki.
Gerry also stated that he needs to know the member type information for the site; this information would describe appropriate members and he needs specifications for the type of institutions that members belong to. Gerry stated that there are five areas of approval.

Decision: Andrea will work with Gerry to post the Taxonomy for a holisitic revision. Gerry will post member type information on the wiki for suggestions. A meeting will be held specifically for the website.

7) Discussion of OERC/MERLOT brochure

Discussion: Andrea stated that she is working with Cathy on the creation of the OERC-MERLOT brochure.

Decision: Andrea will post the final version on the wiki

8) Latin-America Pan American Conference of Medical Education, Buenos Aires, October 20-23, 2009

Discussion: Larry discussed that the conference involves OER and health and wondered whether anyone was interested in joining. It was suggested that maybe Ian could go, however his schedule will not allow it. Larry stated that he is trying to convince Elmer to join the steering committee and that he may be the ideal speaker. Dianne agrees. There are also conventions in Texas and Mexico.

Decision: Larry will follow-up with Elmer. We need to research into the financing of sending Elmer to the convention. Anil will work on the funding aspect. Anil will also follow up on a convention that is taking place in Texas (Rice University - The Connection Group) and will post it on the wiki.

9) Adding Rita Lewis to next weeks phone conference for a discussion of OERC International Website

Decision: There will be no meeting held next week, however Rita can join the following week's meeting. This will give people time to review information and to follow up with Gerry. There is also a need for an OERC email, Andrea will talk to Rita about this.

10) Review of TO DO list

Discussion: The To-Do list needs to be cleaned up and updated. The newsletter item on the To-Do list is almost finished. Dianne stated that rather than wait for all the bios to come in, we could feature a portion of the S.C. members and then mention that more will be featured in future newsletters. As for the letterhead, Andrea and Dianne are editing it. Ian mentioned that if we need graphics done, we could contact robyn, but it could have to be soon because she is going into surgery at some point within the next few weeks.

Decision: Andrea will update the To-DO list.

NEW BUSINESS:

  • OER in Health White Paper [Anil]

Discussion: Anil discussed contributing to the white paper. Dianne mentioned that she has been trying to sign on to the project for weeks.

Decision: Anil will set up a meeting with John to find out the problem and find a solution.

  • Inviting Fogarty International Center (Aron Primack) to join executive committee [Anil]

Discussion: Anil discussed that this could be a possible funding solution. Larry he stated that if Aron was willing then he was fine with this arrangement. Ian stated that there have been many people who have gone through Fogarty at one time or another. He questioned whether it would be a good idea to create a list together of possible connections through Fogarty. An example would be Robert Eiss, who is a periodic contact of IAn's who is a Fogarty connection and could be very valuable.

  • OCW membership [Anil]

Discussion: Anil explained that Hewlett doesn't like funding outside membership. A membership would allow us to be more favorable through funding by Hewlett.

Decision: Dianne and Larry will help draft the application.

Discussion: Dianne stated that the letter should be a boiler plate of information that will be needed when drafting individual funding letters. Anil agrees with this statement.

Next meeting(s)

The next meeting will be held on January 27th

Adjournment.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License

Subscription expired — please renew

Pro account upgrade has expired for this site and the site is now locked. If you are the master administrator for this site, please renew your subscription or delete your outstanding sites or stored files, so that your account fits in the free plan.