3 31 2009

Regularly scheduled phone conference calls take place on Tuesday's at 11am EST.

Call-in Information:

Access Number
712-421-6842

Passcode
672630#

March 31, 2009

Agenda

1. Approve minutes from
17/March/2009
Old business
2. Report on the INCTR meeting and OERC presentation(LL)
2.1 Partnership response and potential linkages
2.3 Content requests from potential users
3. Activation of OERC.MERLOT.org
3.1 Generation of content for the site
3.2 Response to "user"member requests
4. Meeting with Richard Pestell, INCTR-USA
4.1 Board membership
4.2 Serving as a 501c3 for OERC
5.0 Newsletter status
5.1 Contract with Constant Contact?
6.0 Fundraising and petty cash account
7.0 Steering Committee meeting at ASCO
New business
Next meeting

Notes from 31/March/2009 Phone Conference

1. Approve minutes from 17/March/2009

Minutes are approved.

Old business

2.0 through 2.3

Discussion: Larry reported to the committee on the INCTR meeting in Turkey. He reported that the presentation went very well, and approximately 90 people attended. Larry received 34 partnership forms back from 15 representing countries. He also discussed a program that he learned about which is similar to a British version of caBig. Stewart Bell, the head person of this project is interested in oining with OERC. Larry discussed that the program provides radiation machines in developing countries; a partnership between IEA and NCI makes this possible.
Ian reported that PACT is multiple partners that come together and show what can be done with collaboration. INCTR is a partner of PACT.
Aron questioned whether any of these organizations are based in low to medium income countries because he works with a program that sends post-doctorate grads abroad to work in these countries. Aron also discussed the problem with oncology units not letting students take a year off for research purpses. Anil stated that he will set up a meeting with Aron to get more information.
200-250 people attended the meeting in Turkey, 40 countries were represented. INCTR is putting a report together. All the presentations will be available on the EDUCATION tab on the INCTR website within 2 weeks.
When asked what was needed by these institutions, many country representatives reported that education was priority.

3. Activation of OERC.MERLOT.org

Larry has tried out Google translate and found it to work very well. There is also the ability to send corrections to Google and this will update and revise any problems. We should post this option in the next newsletter. Anil stated that we should encourage members to use Google Translator and ask for feedback so we can explore and exploit it. caBig is interested in such projects.

3.1 Generation of content for the site

Larry stated that we need content for the site. He suggested we invite members to submit modules to the site. We could work with AMSA students, Larry and Anil should meet with them. Anil suggested a scoring system on Merlot that would say how much content they have submitted. It would act as both a counter and an incentive; possibly increasing contributions. Gerry explained that a system is in place on Merlot, where contributors are given various color "ribbons" to indicate their levels as contributors.

3.2 Response to "user"member requests
Most participants, Larry explained, were interested in PPT slides and curriculum.

4. Meeting with Richard Pestell, INCTR-USA
According to Larry, Richard Pastell was negative about the project at first; however after the presentation he began to ask about certain elements of the project. He asked about the quality and integrity of the material contributed.
Ian stated that there has been a lot of miscommunications and it is question of priority. Larry states that he needs to delgate tasks more. Ian stated that there has not been a board meeting held in a very long time and that we should encourage Richard to hold one within the next couple of months.

4.1 Board membership

INCTR would like Larry to join the board. INCTR is interested in funding and will serve as a 501(c)3 for OERC. Aziza Shad, however has some reservations.

4.2 Serving as a 501c3 for OERC

Anil stated that we should keep it simple, we should meet with INCTR and discuss funding and 501(c)3 status. Getting big donors will complicate things, 501(c)3 will simplify things. Raj and Richard will not work together well. Richard brought up fundraising through social networking.

5.0 Newsletter status
Discussion: The newsletter is in two many versions, one needs to be chosen and sent out soon. A process needs to be determined.
Andrea should work on content, send it to Stephan for formatting and then to Dianne for final approval.
Constant Contact: Anil is paying for the subscription, Andrea and Anil will work the subscription out. Dianne mentioned that she will be leaving the country on Monday.

5.1 Contract with Constant Contact?
6.0 Fundraising and petty cash account
It is possible to fundraise through social networks. Google can tie all networks together for one purpose. We need to learn more about the Google service. Stephan mentioned that SocialText can collect collaborative data and report it on a spreadsheet.
Anil stated that we need to focus on funding. He asked if it would be pssible to work with Social Text with the promise of payment once funding is received. He asked Stephan to discuss the possibility of collaboration between SocialText and OERC on cancer.
Anil stated that it is approximately 20K for a contract with SocialText.
Stephan questioned how much we could allocate to SocialText?
Anil reported that a check was written by Raj over the weekend for a couple thousand and an account through INCTR will be opened in the next 10 days.
Larry mentioned the Lance Armstrong Foundation could be a possible funder. Ian noted that we may have to coordinate funding strategy according to the requirements of the donor.

Anil stated: Cancer is on top of Obama's list and we need to figure out how to position OERC for funding. Aron stated that there is someone at ASCO who is interested but the president is not.

It was decided that the committee needs to have a seperate meeting dedicated to funding strategies.

Decision: Next week's meeting will be dedicated to fund raising. We need to all think about what needs to be done and bring these ideas to the meeting next week.

7.0 Steering Committee meeting at ASCO
ASCO starts on the 29th and lasts 4 days. Larry sent an open invite to members from Turjey meeting. Andrea and Anil will register the event and then we can plan it.
Anil needs to talk to Larry about adding more members to the Steering Committee.
New business

Next meeting
Apri 7th - dedicated to funding strategy.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License

Subscription expired — please renew

Pro account upgrade has expired for this site and the site is now locked. If you are the master administrator for this site, please renew your subscription or delete your outstanding sites or stored files, so that your account fits in the free plan.