April 14, 2009

Agenda dor 14/April/2009

Call-in Information:

Access Number
712-421-6842

Passcode
672630#

Please add your agenda items below:

1. Previous minutes approval.
1.1 Recap of action items from discussion of funding strategy
1.1.1 Business plan & budget
1.1.2 application for grant through INCTR
1.1.2.1 Federal grant with partner
1.1.2.2 Small business grant with partner
1.1.2.3 Fogarty challenge grant to fund fellow for content research
2. ASCO steering meeting confirmation ASCO Confirmation.

3. Review OERC Teaching Commons - go to http://voices.merlot.org/group/oercancer to get the background and PPT's

http://teachingcommons.cdl.edu/oerc

go to a. https://csuelm.calstate.edu:443/join_meeting.html?meetingId=1239491511088 to participate in the Elluminate session

See email I sent for more details

4. If time, review sustainability PPT

OERC Notes
NOTE: For your convenience I have marked action items in bold.

Attendance

Diane Kaseman
Andrea Okrentowich
Anil Srivastava
Gerry Hanley
Ian Magrath
Stephan Theiringer
Larry Lessin

1. Previous minutes approval.
Meeting notes from 4/14 were not complete and will be reviewed the following meeting.

1.1 Recap of action items from discussion of funding strategy

Discussion: We need to develop content.

Larry discussed that there is a lot of content on INCTR and Gerry stated that we should show examples of what can be accomplished on MERLOT - OERC

1.1.1 Business plan & budget
1.1.2 application for grant through INCTR
1.1.2.1 Federal grant with partner
1.1.2.2 Small business grant with partner

Anil discussed with Raj about OERC funding and AcrossWorld technology. Anil would like to bring in a professional grant writer. We need to work out the minor details. Anil added that it might be interesting to talk with Norm Coleman to combine efforts. Larry stated that he was not sure where funding would come from with Norm. Anil responded that Norm is using the same funding channels.
Larry reported that Norm is not ready to pursue partnerships. Anil responded that we should have an open discussion. Larry stated that we should use Felicia's serves if she's willing to work on contingency.

1.1.2.3 Fogarty challenge grant to fund fellow for content research

2. ASCO steering meeting confirmation ASCO Confirmation.

Discussion: The time and date of the planned OERC meetings conflicts with caBig meeting. Larry and Anil will discuss this offline.

The group decided that the ASCO meeting will go on as planned.

3. Review OERC Teaching Commons - go to http://voices.merlot.org/group/oercancer to get the background and PPT's

Elluminate can be a useful collaborative tool. Anil and Stephan agree although they noted that Firewall can be a problem. CSU owns the license so it could be an expensive tool, Acrossworld might be a helpful solution.
Gerry gave a presentation on Elluminate on the steps we need to take to:

  • Build OERC reputation as an organization
  • Build the OERC collection
  • Contribute expertise and experience

Questions the committee needs to ask themeselves are:

  • Is the purpose of the page clear?
  • Is the purpose what we want?
  • What's missing?
  • Will you do the missing work?

Larry asked if we could make "Visit OERC Voices" larger and make it one of the tabs.
Gerry responded that this is possible or we coulf pit it in the Partner News box. Gerry will make is visably attractive.

Content for Empty Pages

  • What do we want to say to healthcare professionals?
  • Larry can add Turkey content
  • We need a different message for patients and families
  • "At OERC you can find information on……."

The patients and families page is currently blank. We need to develop content for that.
Gerry asked how we want to structure this page - possibly provide PPT slides. We need to link these PPTs to others within the community who can provide advise. We can point to the OERC Voices.
Larry agrees that pages need to be populated.
One concern is that we can not monitor contributions. Gerry responded that we can set up an editorial board once we start collecting more material. We can create an OERC identity i.e. "This is what we want" and offer recommended material. We can start this process now. Users and Authors can collect their own materials - user citations.
Larry questioned whether we can reward those whose material is used consistently. Anil responded that knowledge should be a free source. The reward would not be monetary. Gerry noted that if you authored materials - your profile will say how many people have cited your material.
Gerry asked what are standing motivations to continue usage?
Larry stated we should point out quality, assessment and usage of material.
Dianne made a point that the nursing contributions need to be discussed. Gerry stated that the nursing collection and he needs to add a section for that. Right now there is a cancer section but not a specific nursing section. These two sections can be cross referenced. Larry stated that the Oncology nursing section. Dianne has sent information for the site. Larry also noted that we need a pharmacology of cancer drugs.
Gerry suggested that we review and revise the current taxonomy
Andrea asked whether we could add links on the site for a newsletter subscription and a chatroom for families and patients of cancer.
Anil stated that we need a collection of people who could be experts on what is appropriate material for the site.

4. If time, review sustainability PPT

We will discuss this next week.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License

Subscription expired — please renew

Pro account upgrade has expired for this site and the site is now locked. If you are the master administrator for this site, please renew your subscription or delete your outstanding sites or stored files, so that your account fits in the free plan.