January 26th 2010

Date: 26/01/2010

Time: (11 Noon EST; 5 pm GMT+1)

Participants: Dianne Kaseman, , Stephan Thieringer, Gerry Hanley, Ian Magrath, Lawrence S. Lessin, Anil Srivastava, Julie Estal

MINUTES
1. Subscribers/contributors (Gerry, Dianne, Anil, Larry)

a) See analysis of the number of visitors to the OERC website since November 2009 sent by Gerry

b) How to get more exposure for the website, and therefore more contributions? Unfortunately there was little response to the letters sent to the OERC Advisory Committee members sent last December.

- Executive Committee Members agreed that they should send emails to their networks of people & institutions ( cancer centers, professional organizations, universities, etc..) to let them know about OERC website and to invite them to post contributions, bearing in mind the various goals and concerns different categories of users (students, health professionals, etc…) may have when using the OERC website.

- It was also felt that the Committee would determine whether universities have existing materials (such as specific courses or other educational materials) that could be contributed.

- It was decided that we should keep using the INCTR Newsflash to promote OERC and try to include articles on OERC in other newsletters.

- At the same time, newsletters readers could be asked for contributions. One incentive might be that they could cite OERC-MERLOT contributions in their personal bibliographies.

- Anil raised the possibility of using URL shorteners for easy reference such as TinyURL, knowing that the World Bank, and other international agencies, allow permanent URL's to be cited in bibliography.

2. Funding opportunities (Anil)
a) It was determined that we do not presently qualify for CFC. The application will therefore be postponed until next year.

b) The meeting held on January 13th to discuss INCTR-GKI-Open Course Ware Consortium working together on OER in Health program with IOM was useful. There’s an opportunity for OERC to take a leadership role in this initiative. We should decide how to move forward and prepare a proposal to organize a meeting on this topic.
- Stefan will send the notes he took at this meeting to committee members.

c) Global Giving: GG connects site visitors to over 700 pre-screened grassroots charity projects around the world. It ensures that at least 85% of donations are sent to projects within 60 days. Donors have the option to cover Global Giving's 15% fee, in which case, 100% of the donation goes directly to the project. . If a project doesn’t attract money, it will be removed from the website. For additional info, see http://www.globalgiving.org/howitworks.html

-Putting OERC on Global giving might increase our visibility. However, we need to ensure that this would be attractive to the general public. We would then need to advertise for posted projects within and beyond our network, and to provide evaluation and monitoring of the uploaded materials. It was decided that Anil will organize a meeting with the managers of GG, Dianne and Larry after February, 16th 2010.

3. Planning for the webinar
- The next meeting will be, if possible, in the form of a test webinar using Dimdim. Anil and Stephan will work out the technological details.

Next meeting: Tuesday February 23rd 2010

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License

Subscription expired — please renew

Pro account upgrade has expired for this site and the site is now locked. If you are the master administrator for this site, please renew your subscription or delete your outstanding sites or stored files, so that your account fits in the free plan.